Ranting on the Route to Insanity

Ranting on the Route to Insanity

Hey! Curious individual that I am, I wanna know how many different people are reading this

Friday, April 15, 2011

Day of Silence -- Join Me?

Goodness gracious, has it really been a year since I started this journey of mine?

Okay, rhetorical question. Don't answer, please. I feel old enough already.

Hello again, everyone, and let’s give a bit of applause for all you readers out there. Seriously. Pat yourself on the back. It’s Friday. You made it through the week. Ina few hours, classes will be over and it’ll be the weekend. Proms going on, spring storms, lovely weather, naps in the sunshine -- really, what more could I ask for?

Well, I could ask for silence.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you read that right. Today, I want you to be silent.

April 15, 2011 is the National Day of Silence, which is a day of action in which students all across the world take soem form of a vow of silence. It’s to call attention to anti-LGBT bullying and harassment and the overall effect of silence it has on the LGBT community.

I mean, there are some drawbacks to taking a vow of silence -- you don’t talk. Period. Uless you’re in a class and a teacher directly asks you something, because you have to answer, as you’d be forced to answer the question anyway whether you could speak ot not.

But think about it. Being silent for a day. Can you imagien the impact it would have? Think about all of your friends, all of your teachers and adult figures. Think of everyone you know. And now turn off the volume.

Isn’t that amazing? Think of what the world would say. the attention it would draw!

Think about the people you would help, the people you would, by staying silent, help find a voice for. It could be anyone. You brother or sister, a best friend, the person you like. It could be a parent. It could be anyone, and you could help make their life just a little bit easier.

You could make the world a little bit better.

Join me. Join my college’s Gay-Straight Alliance organization. Join GLSEN. Join thousands of other students and adults and people, people like you and me, all over the world as we spend a day in silence to call attention to the effect of anti-LGBT bullying and harassment that atkes place within out schools.

Join me, help organize this change.

Join me. Join us.

Accept the challenge.

Ever yours,
The Night Thief

1 comment: